Thursday, January 27, 2011

Late January

We returned from Seattle on Tuesday late afternoon. Thought I would update a bit on what is happening.

I had 6 days of tests and appointments at the University of Washington Medical Center. We arrived on a Monday and finished up the following Monday. Stayed in an RV park in Bothell, WA about 40 to 60 minutes from the hospital depending on time of day and amount of traffic. It was a nice park and we will probably stay there when we return. They have a special rate long term stays and for people who are awaiting a transplant…

Won’t go into the gory details of the kinds of tests they did but lets just say they should know just about everything there is to know about my insides. I still have a few things to finish up here and then they will meet (everyone involved at the medical center) and determine when I will be placed on the list. Was told I needed to lose 20 to 25 lbs. before they would place me but I also know my lungs are really bad (functioning at 1/5 of normal). The surgeon said I would be fairly high on the list which is good but it also means I have a big problem. He said I could go with 1 transplanted lung or 2 and I think that will be determined when they have a donor.
So I am dieting as if my life depended on it, cause it does! It is amazing how that can motivate you. Besides being a bit overweight and not being able to breath, I am in good health otherwise so that is a plus.

We are probably going to trade in our Arctic Fox 25R travel trailer for a 295E 5th wheel just because it has so much more room and we will be living in it for quite a few months, both before and after transplant. Lots of things to think about and decisions to make.

Not sure of the timeline but I’m hoping we are back in Seattle by the first part of March if I can lose enough weight by then. Thank you all for your support. I/we really appreciate it and couldn’t make it through this without our family and friends.

2 comments:

Kristi O'Harran said...

Which park did you stay at in Bothell? Do they have other potential transplant patients there? I am a reporter in Everett. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

oharran@heraldnet.com