Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday, May 11

4 weeks post transplant and counting!  No additional ‘bumps in the road’ so far and hoping it stays that way.  The drainage tube was removed on Monday and the troublesome area appears to be healing.  Have an appointment on Monday to remove the staples (used instead of stitches).  Still have some pain but it is lessening each day and I hope to be off the pain meds in the next week or two. 

We have been walking around the park and it is wonderful!!!  It is something I have dreamed about for a long time, to be able to walk without the aid of oxygen or a walker or anything else.  My legs are still a bit weak so the more I walk the better.  Fortunately we have had great weather lately although still a bit cold. 

Jon & Ched stopped by for a visit on Sunday and Ched brought some pancit and lumpia!  It was delicious!!!!  They were attending a Navy Diver reunion in Bremerton.

Bill and Mary came for a visit on Thursday and we had a nice lunch at the Creekside Café.  Mary brought some homemade cinnamon rolls and they are wonderful. 

Tuesday was a pedicure and Wednesday we had haircuts.  A little pampering was in order. 

Jim, Marci and Cassie will be arriving tonight for the week-end and we are looking forward to seeing them.  They are bringing their truck/camper and have a space two sites down from us. 

We miss Violet but know she is better off with Libby and Richard right now.  I have limited use of my arms for the next 5 or 6 weeks.  Not allowed to raise them above shoulder level, can’t bare any weight on them or reach behind me or lift anything heavier than 10 lbs.  Even opening the cupboard doors is difficult since they are tight fitting.  I am slowly becoming more independent but still rely heavily on ‘the caregiver’ for many things. 

Had a ‘clinic’ visit today.  It includes blood draw, chest x-ray, pulmonary function test and visit with Dr. Raghu.   He indicated I am doing well and he doesn’t need to see me for two weeks!  They are scheduling a routine broncoscopy for sometime next week.  These are usually done about a month after transplant and lets them see inside the lungs to make sure everything is as it should be.  Walking around the hospital today was challenging but good exercise for me.  It is such a big place and of course all the places we needed to be are spread out on several floors.  Dr. Raghu said I was a popular person!  He kept running into people that mentioned me….  Not sure if it was patients or staff or a bit of both! 

Caregiver note:  Car needs washing….  ;-)   I was saving that task for my better half, but paid for the wash today.  Will find another task for her.  Gotta get her back into the work mode.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are getting your strength back, Betsy! I pray for you guys and looking forward to your moving back home. Glad that Jon and Ched got a chance to see you and also deliver some pansit and lumpia-a well-deserved treat after having such a long journey!
Do you have a good address? My mail to you comes back...
Best from the East Coast Landon's!

Rochelle